United Way of Greater Mercer County is seeking volunteers to join the tax prep team. The program provides families and individuals making less than $65,000/year with FREE tax return preparation.
Benefits to the Community
Last year's volunteers prepared over 1,000 free tax returns and provided total refunds of $1.3 million including Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) to working individuals and families as well as those who are 60 years of age and older in our community.
The average adjusted gross income of working individuals and families we serve is $26,000/year. Rising costs of food, housing, and essentials leave families struggling to make ends meet. The savings from tax preparation fees and refunds received are used for basic needs like:
- transportation to their place of employment
- and much more!
To qualify for Federal resources like food assistance (including school lunch and breakfast), health insurance (including Medicaid), college financial aid, and other programs proof of income is required. As a result, tax return filing is crucial to the financial success of many families and individuals. Be a part of this vital resource to increase financial security for struggling families in Mercer County!
Benefits of Volunteering
- Impact your community
- Gain practical experience
- No prior tax experience is required
- Various roles are available
- Tax Preparer: train to prepare and review tax returns
- Greeter: confirm if individuals have all of the documents needed for filing and assist individuals in filling out an initial intake form (will not be preparing tax returns)
- Site Coordinator: review tax returns and manage tax site
- Translator: translate for Spanish-speaking clients
- Become IRS Certified
- Flexible volunteer hours (3-4 hour blocks)
- College students can earn course credits and build up their resumes
- Tax professionals can earn Continuing Education Credits
Interested in becoming a tax volunteer?
Volunteers are needed from February 1-April 15, 2024. Free IRS training begins in the Fall of 2023 and test certification is required by January 15, 2024. Tax sites are located throughout Mercer County (exact locations TBD). If you are interested in volunteering, fill out the Volunteer Interest Form below.
Help us spread the word! Download the flyer.
For questions please contact Bill Bright at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Intro to VITA-Tax Volunteers 2023
- Tax Law 1: Filing Status & Dependents
- Tax Law 2 & 3: Income, Credits & Adjustments
- Taxwise and Link & Learn Basics
- Volunteer Resource Guide: PUB 4012
- Volunteer Assistor's Test/Retest: PUB 6744
- Training Guide: PUB 4491
- Taxwise Cheat Sheet
- How to Access Link & Learn
- Other Training Materials- more to help you study!
TaxWise Practice Tax Returns
NJ State Tax Return Resources