Bilingual-Spanish Resource Specialist Position
About United Way of Greater Mercer County:
We connect people with resources propelling individuals and families to reach their fullest potential creating a thriving community. In order to achieve our mission, we invest in programs, community partnerships, and volunteer engagement in youth and family success, economic vitality and health and wellness.
Our vision is a vibrant and inclusive greater Mercer County whereby all can thrive.
The strategic priorities of the organization include:
1. Increase organizational visibility and demonstrate value proposition
2. Build and expand community impact products (programs + services)
3. Demonstrate commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
4. Increase and diversify revenue
The Bilingual Resource Specialist will ensure Mercer County’s Spanish-speaking community members are provided benefits screening and eligibility information regarding public benefits. The Resource Specialist will provide application assistance and community referrals. The Bilingual Resource Specialist will also work with different community agencies to increase access to supportive resources. The Bilingual Resource Specialist is part of United Way of Greater Mercer County’s (UWGMC) Community Impact Team (Program Department).
Reports to: Director of Community Impact
Position Classification: Grant Funded FT, salaried, exempt.
Primary responsibilities are as follows:
• The Bilingual Resource Specialist will receive referrals from community partners: local food pantries/soup kitchens, non-profits/community agencies, Mercer County Corrections Center, etc. to screen and enroll individuals in Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and other federal benefits.
• Work in partnership with members of the Community Impact Team (Program Department) to promote free tax preparation services (VITA – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) and other financial wellness resources.
• The Bilingual Resource Specialist will work with individual participants to identify public benefits and community resources available to clients and their families. Additionally, the Resource Specialist will:
o Utilize CRM tool for benefits screening, case management technology, operational support, and evaluation tools.
o Conduct telephone outreach and identify potential clients for referrals and benefits eligibility screening.
o Assist in the completion of new and renewal benefits applications on behalf of clients.
o Assist in the completion of Get Covered NJ application if participant does not qualify for NJ Family Care benefits.
o Offer additional assistance for all the energy assistance programs (LIHEAP, USF/HEA, NJ Shares, TRUE Program, and Cooling Assistance), General Assistance, TANF, PAAD applications, and NJ SAVES applications.
o Provide telephone benefits enrollment counseling services to potential applicants in a fair, impartial manner and in a way that is individually appropriate.
• Provide light-touch case management for all applications, following up with applicants to ensure that respective applications and required documentation are submitted and informing clients about their application status.
• Assisting clients in resolving problems, answering questions about their benefits, and when needed, advocating on behalf of clients with the appropriate public agencies and service providers.
• Conduct Screening and/or Enrollment at community events and tax sites to provide information as to whether the client qualifies for federal/state benefits, such as food and nutrition programs (SNAP, WIC) and health insurance (CHIP, Medicaid).
• Represent United Way of Greater Mercer County (UWGMC) in community meetings and events to maintain a presence/voice in the community.
• Assist in exploring partnerships with faith-based groups, community organizations, Mercer County schools and other stakeholders to increase awareness and participation in the community benefits program and other UWGMC community impact programs.
• Perform other tasks assigned to fulfill the United Way’s mission.
• Ensure that all program outcomes are properly documented in an accurate and timely manner through CRM reporting system.
• Ensure that UWGMC’s programmatic goals and individual targets, as they relate to outreach and application completion, are achieved.
• Work with UWGMC staff and community partners/nonprofit organizations, to use program performance data to drive improvements to the program design and implementation at each of the sites.
• Must work well with a diverse community.
• Participate in all required trainings and meetings and maintain a strong and current expertise in public benefits eligibility, application, and enrollment, as well as community resources and tax services available at and near host sites – county and statewide.
• Participate in community meetings.
• Must complete CRM web-based training.
• Provide daily and weekly updates including schedule through phone calls, emails, virtual or face-to-face meetings.
• Ability to work evenings, weekends or early mornings as needed.
• Participate in UWGMC Staff Meetings.
• Work in conjunction with the Community Impact Department.
• Must submit timesheets and expense reports by due date.
Skills & Experience:
• Three-to-Five (3 to 5) years of experience with benefits enrollment and case management.
• Proficient in Spanish/English.
• Three-to-Five (3 to 5) years of experience working within the Mercer County community preferred.
• Project management experience a plus.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Dynamic, energetic, and driven personality required.
• Solid time management and effective multi-tasking required.
• Must demonstrate attention to detail, strong critical thinking, and analytical skills.
• Ability to work independently.
• Proficient computer skills required (Microsoft Office suite).
• Experience working with web-based platforms.
• Valid driver’s license and vehicle, automobile/vehicle with valid insurance.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following core competencies:
• Passion for mission and community
• Collaboration oriented
• Inclusiveness and welcoming
• Integrity and trust
• Emotional intelligence
• Flexibility, creativity, and adaptability
• Supports self-sustaining efforts
United Way of Greater Mercer County (UWGMC) is committed to continuous awareness and improvement in the services we provide and the organization where people work. UWGMC is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Salary $50K/per year. Medical benefits, 401 (K) offered, paid holidays including two (2) floating holidays and flexible schedule. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Write “Bilingual-Spanish Resource Specialist” in subject line.